Thursday, October 13, 2011

week 2 3/4

“If you are cold,
Tea will warm you.
If you are too heated,
It will cool you.
If you are depressed,
It will cheer you.
If you are excited,
It will calm you.”
-          Gladstone
I think this should be my motto here at Capernwray because you just can’t seem to escape the tea, not that I would want to of course!  Another week (well more like two now) has flown by here in the UK and I seem to be becoming a dance master now, but this time we did interpretive dance. Ok so not really. I just attended a walk through the bible series. For those of you who don’t know, walk through the bible is a tool you can use to basically remember the story line of the bible; this time around it was the Old Testament, with important phrases and hand signs that correspond with the important events.  So in about five minutes I can sum up the Old Testament, complete with actions.  I am also attending an optional lecture series called “Sacrilization in Pop Culture,” which basically talks about religion in movies and books, and how people make up their own religions based on Pop Culture. For instance we are going to talk about the Lord of The Rings series, Star Wars, and the Matrix (we even started watching it).  I am so excited for these lectures, they are so much fun! Today we also received our outreach groups and I am going to be involved in the Salvation Army group, not the second hand goods part, but the ministry part. In the little town of Carnforth a pastor has opened up an after school drop in for elementary school kids. These kids may or may not be Christian and they come from all kinds of backgrounds. It’s so small that only two students from Capernwray are going at a time to go and hang out with the kids who show up.  Here’s hoping that God has a plan for this because I sure don’t, and as nervous as I am for this I’m also excited.  
The roommates at the Lake District
This big brick castle is starting to feel more like home to me now although it is still strange to think that I’m in England while the rest of my family is across the ocean! Now it is a normal thing for me to walk in the sheep fields in the rain at night, or to expect a biscuit and hot chocolate before bed, and I’m learning new things to thank God for. Such as the cows in the morning, instead of getting upset about the must be constipated cow outside my window, I can thank God that it’s a new sound to wake up to as I frantically realize that I’ll be late for breakfast if it weren’t for that cow.  Haha I have also become the local hero for having Cholula hot sauce (mom you might want to send the Costco size) it seems to be everyone’s favorite even though they brought Tabasco! In other unrelated news this past Friday’s activity was a big bonfire by the lake where we sat around and sang camp songs/ praise songs/ anything songs, to sum it up the comradery here is just amazing! You can just sit and talk to whoever you want to, hang out, and watch movies during our free time, like the other day a group of us went and watched Braveheart. Maybe not the most church appropriate movie but hey we are going to Scotland at the end of the month!  Cheers!


Cara and me at a cafe in Carnforth. I had a banana smoothie yum!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jessica:

    I'm so glad you are writing this blog! I love hearing about what you're up to and all that you are experiencing in England. We think about you lots and keep you in our prayers. Sierra got her candy bar from your mom today and looks forward to sharing it with us (not really, but we will manage to have a piece). Keep having wonderful adventures and sharing them with us. And have a cup of tea for me!!!

    Love,
    DiAnne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if your Walk Through the Bible lecture included a little book by Lesslie Newbigin, which goes by the same title. If it didn't it's a great collection of 8 radio broadcasts that tell the story of the whole bible. Lesslie Newbigin was from Scotland and gave the addresses were broadcast in 1998 in the UK. Sounds like you're having a great time and you've made me want a cup of nice tea, except that it's in the 80's here.

    ReplyDelete