Friday, November 25, 2011

its raining, its pouring..

At Edinburgh Castle


Off to a Ceilidh
Haggis...mmm?
So after the many guilt trips I am back to writing my blog on a rainy day here in England. Haha and so much has happened since the last time I wrote anything. First off I should say that we went to Edinburgh and it was amazing! We stayed at a pretty nice hostel, but because Katrina was only 17 she couldn’t stay with us so she stayed at a hotel with other girls from Capernwray and we would meet up in the day time. The first time this happened to us however, she changed the meeting place on us so we spent about 2 hours trying to catch up with her! But after that it was a great day, we went to Edinburgh Castle and then went to a Ceilidh in the evening, complete with Capernwray boys in kilts, and then being the teenagers we are we were starving at 11:00 when the dance was over so we all pooled our cash and bought pizza to eat as we walked back to our hostels.  Then on Sunday we went to mass in a huge catholic cathedral where all the songs were sung in Latin by a choir, it was different, but so cool to experience worshiping God in a way different than I’m used to. We only had three days there so after Church we went shopping, ate some haggis, and then hit the road back to Capernwray.  Since getting back from our travel weekend break it’s been nose to the grindstone hard work! But that doesn’t mean it hasn’t been great. So far with all my school work I’ve read the book Alive in Christ then wrote an essay on it, wrote an essay on First Samuel, wrote and shared my testimony (which I can post later if people want it), came up with a personal mission statement, and made a tract. So a booklet on converting people basically. What was mine about, reading, naturally and how the Bible is the ultimate book with the ultimate love story. It might be cheesy but it got the job done.  And we have had some amazing lectures on the book of Revelations, the Sermon on the Mount, Colossians, and now we are talking about the father heart of God, servant leadership, and what it means to be the church. I have loved these lectures and I am continually surprised about the stuff I don’t know, like the book of revelations, I knew none of that! And it’s so interesting! I have also loved going through the Sermon on the Mount because I thought I knew most of what Jesus was trying to teach us from it, boy was I wrong. Things that I already knew, I found to have other meanings or a different angle was taken on these subjects that I hadn’t considered before. But along with all of our lectures and classes we have also done some other amazing worship and prayer activities. First off we have had a Korean service so all of the Korean students taught us what it means to be Christian in Korea, and they taught us some songs and dances, and we prayed a huge group prayer where everyone prayed out loud all at the same time.  It was to my surprise a very emotional prayer time that left quite a few people in tears, and then at the end we all went outside to get our shoes and found that all of our laces had been tied together to form a huge chain of shoes!  And now this Friday night is German night, whatever that means…haha we have also had a day of prayer where we focused on the gifts of the spirit and had time to pray and reflect and just talk to God all day about the areas that we need his help.  It was truly an amazing day. And now we are approaching the holidays,  we have a big thanksgiving dinner planed, that’s the rumour at least, and we have a “special evening” where we all get to show off all of the dances we have been learning in our spare time which now equates to the waltz, tango, swing, and salsa, as well as Ceilidh dancing. And in the times where I’m not on my outreach I participate in Capernwray’s holiday choir, where I feature, actually where I blend in to the Soprano section. Anyway I think that’s all that has happened this past month, sorry for the lack of updates but the internet doesn’t work the best here, and I’m lazy and don’t get around to writing very often, it seems like there is always something to do here, someone’s planning something or we are going somewhere!  Anyway I hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving, and all of Capernwray is praying for you Pat! 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the wonderful update, Jess. I love hearing about your adventures and am so impressed with how much and how deeply you are learning. You'll have to do some teaching when you come back home. We all miss you and looking forward to seeing you at Christmas!

    ReplyDelete